Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day 1

Hokay, so
After being on airplanes for a grand total of eighteen hours within two days, I arrived at Beijing.When we arrived, it was still light. For some obscure security reason, there was no photography allowed before we properly went through immigration and customs, so there are no pictures of the airport. It is an interesting structure and I'm sure you can find pictures of it somewhere on the internet. We took an incredibly slow and crowded tram to get to the baggage claim and after that we were on a nice bus to get to the dorms. Following is the first ever picture of me in China. I seem confused for some reason.

The dorm is a bit janky. We had to buy our own toilet paper to bring to and from the bathrooms. The plumbing is poorly behaved, so we cannot flush toilet paper. The room feels much smaller than the picture suggests, but everything at least works. Except for the internet. The wired connection won't let me connect at all and the wireless is just plain bad, not to mention a bunch of sites (facebook, youtube) are blocked by the Chinese government, so it is rather inconvenient.

Next, we had dinner. It was excellent.

5 comments:

  1. (I was thrilled when Kristin said you updated so prepare for a slew of only marginally-related sentences.)

    Props for using the word 'janky'! Do you guys not have Chinese roommates this year? Lonely! Make sure you visit that tiny jiaozi/baozi stand on the other side of the campus. I've heard good things.

    Have fun! Don't get la duzi!

    PS: Nice hat. No, really. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I was gonna give props for Janky but Laura beat me to it >:|

    I also like the hat and I am looking forward to your continued adventures.

    NEXT TIME, ON JEFF GOES TO ASIA

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know... http://imgur.com/TEfuQ
    almost.... almost...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job there jeff. Hope the airport didn't.confuse you too much. I will now give you props for sticking it to the Chinese government and bypassing the block. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something I find amusing is that you say that you can find photos of the airport online, but kinda sorta neglect to say which airport it is. Unless I'm just missing it from somewhere.

    Did you know that the first picture was being taken? That may have been the cause for confusion.

    It is saddening that the internet does not seem to work there. Perhaps when you shift to a new place it will be better?

    Spend your time wisely, and remember: you probably don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka.

    And if you start feeling homesick (hopefully not, but you never know), just remember, your real home is in your chest!

    Hope you are both having fun and will continue having fun!

    ReplyDelete