Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day J9

Hokay, so now I'm going to be catching up on my posts. Since it's easier to write these referring to the events as if they happened today, that's how I'll write them. Anyways...
Tuesday
We got up early to experience the rush hour experience on the subways, but we might have missed the proper time because it wasn't honestly that bad. We went to Tsukiji station and went to see the Tokyo Fish Market. I have never seen more seafood in one place. It was kinda like a Frank and Sons or Anime Expo, but for fish.
There. Was. A. Lot.
I have forgotten my camera in my room, so I'll try to negogiate with other people to get their pictures.
We continued from there to check out the standard issue Japanese supermarket. It seemed like a bit more stuff was crammed on shorter shelves. Also there was more pre-cut meat than whole meat, and for better prices.
Lunch happened around here somewhere.
Next, we looked at Ginza, the classier shopping district, and looked at two stores mainly. First were the sweets floor and the grocery floor of a famous department store, the name of which escapes me. The sweets floor was basically what was expected, but the grocery floor was somewhat more interesting. It was set up more like a make-up department, with each section having its own attendant and cash register. Things were generally well priced, but I saw one mysterious piece of meat (looked like fish) selling for about 9000円, which is a little under $100. Since I saw it as we were walking out, I didn't have a chance to analyze what it could be.
Next was the Itoya stationary store, which is rather impressive. I have never seen a $500 pen before.
Next, (after class) a group of us went to the Japanese Sword Museum. It was rather close to closing time, so there were no visitors there besides us. The actual exhibit is only one room, but they have pretty cool items. There were two of Japan's national treasures on display as well as a sword by Masamune and another my another big name old swordsmith, but I can't remember it now. The security guard served as sort of a tour guide and we went to him for questions. Of course, he didn't speak any English, but that made it more fun and educational.

No comments:

Post a Comment